What's your story?

"I have seen violence done to the helpless, and I have heard the groans ofthe poor. Now I will rise up to rescue them", such is my CALLING!

Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Case For Semenya

So I was sitting in class (Human Sexuality class) on Thursday thinking about my own perspective on this Semenya subject as we were discussing it. It turned out that I had more questions than "meaningful" contributions to offer to the class. I'm sure by this time everyone is pretty much in one way or anoother aware of the Semenya saga - the South African 800m athlete who is being stripped of her glory just because they think she might be a male. Good heavens! How many more of this nonsense do we have to listen to?

My fury right now is channeled towards the fact that we as a people, in the first place, always have to place others in categories other than what they've identified themselves with, and actually belong to. Why should Semenya have to be judged on the grounds of her looks, talents, and abilities/capabilities? On the matter of her looks, I'ld say it's the lamest of excuses that any body would make in order to categorized another as male or female, if you asked me. Okay here's the deal. There are so so many men who are gorgeous, I mean flat-out GORGEOUS! Right? So, are we in effect saying we should put "i am a woman" labels on their foreheads? I don't know people.

Here's where I personally think the IAAF falters. Well, from my experience as an athlete, whenever the team has to go out and compete in a major event, the coach has to send our stats ( times, distances, etc) to whatever board that is officiating the event. Okay what's my point? My point simply is that the IAAF knew in advance, or at least had an idea about how fast Semenya runs. Meaning whatever objections or doubts they are having right now about her "profile" should have been dealt with prior to allowing her to compete. Why did they let it slide and then make a public spectacle out of her. This kind of humiliation, in my opinion, goes beyond Semenya. It cuts through all female athletes and most importantly, womanhood. That's just my stand. It makes me wonder sometimes, would she be this "famous" if she didn't win? Huh? What a shame (smh).

No comments:

Post a Comment